When I was a little boy, my dad used to make French Toast for breakfast while my mom was trying to wake me up. Growing up, although my dad was no longer here, my mom & sister still make that dish in dad’s style, sometimes.
My childhood was that beautiful, waking up and enjoying the sweet, soft and buttery French toast. As I am away from home now, I learn how to take care of myself, wake up early, cook my breakfast, make some sweet treats for the weekend. This time I try to create the French Toast in my dad’s style, and it turns out really really good. I mean delicious! Here is the recipe:
– 6 slices brioche or white bread
– 3 large eggs
– 1/2 cup of whole milk (~ 120ml)
– 2 tablespoons of condense milk (this is how my father made French toast) You can substitue condense milk with honey or sugar
– 1 pinch of salt
– Butter for frying
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (highly recommend it), nothing is better than the scent of cinnamon in the kitchen in the early day of fall: p
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
– Mix the eggs, milk, condense milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. (if using honey, make sure to warm it in microwave before mixing).
– Dip bread in the mixture
– Fry slices on medium heat, using butter or coconut oil for more buttery and richer flavour, fry the bread until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side
-> Done =)) It’s so easy, isn’t?
* Generally, French Toast can be served with jam, butter, honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, or even bacon (People even have savoury French Toast served with bacon, duck, like.. too heavy for me..
My perfect combo is French toast, honey, berry compote & greek yogurt.
Well making berry compote is very simple! Combine 1 cup of the berry (it can be blueberries, strawberries, or mulberries), water, sugar and a lil bit lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat for about 8 – 10 min, stirring frequently till it’s getting firmer, add more fresh berries to the pan, keep stirring for 2 more mins then turn off the heat and let it chill.
Happy weekend everyone, hope you guys have a happy and peaceful time with family and friends!