This hybrid dessert has a layer of chocolate sponge in the bottom and a layer of caramel-coated flan on top. Don’t hesitate to put two mixtures together as the sponge batter with egg white bubbles is lighter than the egg-milk mixture, it will certainly float as we bake.
* Chocolate sponge:
– 1 cup APF or cake flour
– 2tbsp cocoa powder
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 5 eggs
– 50ml oil
– 50ml milk
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 1 tsp lemon juice
– 800ml milk **
– 7 eggs and 1 egg yolk ***
– 1/2 cup sugar
– extra sugar to make caramel sauce
** If using condensed milk, dissolve the milk in hot water first
*** Ratio: 1 egg: 100-120ml liquid
- Preheat oven to 285F or 140C
- Make a simple caramel sauce with 200gr sugar and 2 spoonful of water. Pour the caramel sauce evenly over the bottom of the pan (I use 8 inch round pan)
- Sponge: Use a hand or electric mixer, beat egg whites with salt, lemon juice, gradually add granulated sugar and beat on high speed until soft peaks from. Turn the mixer to low speed and add egg yolks. Slowly add the cooking oil, fresh milk to the egg mixture. Beat on low speed until everything ‘s combined.
- Sponge: Sieve flour, cocoa and baking powder together. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the egg mixture at a time. Combine 2 mixtures together by hand, with a spatula. Set aside.
- Flan: Beat eggs with about 1/2 cup sugar. Then heat the whole milk until it’s warm and pour it slowly into the egg. Mix until well-combined. Strain 2-3 times until smooth. You can taste the liquid and add on more sugar if needed.
Pour the flan mixture in the pan first, then the sponge batter. Place the cake pan in a large roasting pan and place it in the oven. Put an aluminum foil on top of the pan. Add enough hot water to the roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of the pan. Bake the cake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, then take the foil out and bake for an extra 20 minutes or until you insert a toothpick in the cake and it comes out clean. Cool the cake completely in the pan and refrigerate it overnight.